|First appearance||Donkey Kong Country (1994)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014)|
|Music theme(s)||Simian Segue|
- This article is about the Kong homeland. For global world, see DK Isles.
- “I'll hunt them down through every corner off my island, until I have every last banana from my hoard back!”
- —Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Country
Kong Island (also known as Donkey Kong Island, Donkey Kong Country, DK Island or Kong Isle) is a tropical island and the homeland of the Kong Family as well as the overall Kong species. The location made its first appearance in Donkey Kong Country. Kong Island is the main island within the DK Isles archipelago.
This island is a target of the covetousness due to its preservation and resources. Because of this, Cranky Kong assigned Donkey Kong to protect the island from invaders.
The island visibly contains a mountain carved in the shape of a Kong's head and its geography consists of natural settings such as jungles, ruins, forests, glaciers, cliffs, deserts and beach. After the presence of the Kremling Krew in the Donkey Kong Country, an industrial base and mines were established throughout the island. The entire glacier melted into a volcano due to the Tiki Tong's awakening.
In Donkey Kong Jr., the island served only as the initial stage where Donkey Kong Jr. takes action to save his father Donkey Kong from Mario's hands.
In Donkey Kong '94, the entire island is explored by Mario during his quest to save Pauline from Donkey Kong's hands. Due to its proximity to the Metro Kingdom, the adventure on Kong Island began later on the journey on the ship where it passed through the jungle, desert, mountain and tower where the final battle took place.
In Donkey Kong Country, Kong Island was the main world that DK & Diddy explored to recover the Banana Hoard that was stolen by the forces of the Kremling Krew commanded by Klump. It started in the jungle where the Kong Family lives, in the Kremlings' mining near the ruins, in the pine forest where the Manky Kongs are exiled, on the glacier that is located at the top of the island, in a factory where it was commanded by Klump, in the cave where it was the Kremlings' escape route and on a ship where K. Rool was waiting for his minions to bring the bananas.
In Donkey Kong Land, the only place on the island that was shown was the Monkey Mountains & Chimpanzee Clouds.
In Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Kong Island only appears as the neighboring island of Crocodile Isle in which it is the main world of that game. In Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, Kong Island appears only as a starting point to go to the Northern Kremisphere, which is the main world of this game.
In Donkey Kong 64, Kong Island is under threat from the Kremling Krew who arrive with an artificial island armed with the Blast-O-Matic to destroy it. However, the island becomes the primary world where it starts in the jungle where Diddy was trapped, in a civilization buried in the desert where Lanky & Tiny were imprisoned, in the forest where the quintet had to explore day & night and in an ice cave where they had to stop Kosha to cause an earthquake. Army Dillo and Dogadon were sent to places on the island by K. Rool to stop the Kongs. Fortunately, the island was saved by the quintet who disabled Blast-O-Matic during a race against time on Hideout Helm.
In DK: King of Swing, Kong Island is once again explored entirely by DK where he had to go through the jungle, desert, seaside and ice to recover all the medals until defeating K. Rool in his airship.
In Donkey Kong Country Returns, the island is about to be retaken by the Tikis after Tiki Tong resurfaces from the volcano and has the Banana Hoard stolen. The everywhere was explored by DK and Diddy to retrieve the bananas from the hoard and destroy all the Tikis.
In Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Kong Island was usurped by Lord Fredrik where he summons an ice dragon and the Kongs were later removed from the island. Due to the takeover of the Snowmads, Kong Island was completely frozen where many bananas were being wasted, the water was completely frozen, old structures were expendable, layers of ice buried underground, snowflakes spreading and avalanche causing massive devastation. With the Snowmads driven out, the island is retaken back by DK and the tropical climate has been restored.
Donkey Kong Country
- “You'll find a wide variety of ecosystems in Donkey Kong Country. Though the island itself is mainly tropical, there are great pine forest on the slopes of snowcapped peaks. The mountain are riddled with mines, tunnels and caves. Surrounding the island are many tropical lagoons full of reefs and colorful fish. Following are general descriptions of each area.”
- —Donkey Kong Country instruction booklet, page 20
- “This key lets you know what types of areas to expect while you try to re-establish your banana hoard and rid the island of King K. Rool and his evil band of Kremlings.”
- —Nintendo Power vol. 66, page 9
Donkey Kong Country Returns
- “Donkey Kong Island was a peaceful place where a banana-loving ape could enjoy himself. However, the Tikis have come and taken away all of Donkey Kong's bananas. In order to defeat the Tikis and get back his bananas, Donkey Kong, with the help of Diddy Kong, will have to traverse eight different worlds and drive the Tikis from the island. Donkey Kong Island is full of items, hidden collectibles, and lots of adventure. There are places to jump, things to climb, and areas to explore. Of course, there are also lots of enemies that will try to prevent Donkey Kong from saving his bananas. It is important to learn about the island and what it contains, or the Tikis will take over and Donkey Kong Island will no longer be a home to its namesake.”
- —Donkey Kong Country Returns Player's Guide, page 16
- Kongo Jungle
- Monkey Mines
- Vine Valley
- Gorilla Glacier
- Kremkroc Industries, Inc.
- Chimp Caverns
- Monkey Mountains & Chimpanzee Clouds
- Angry Aztec
- Aqua World
- Golden Temple
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- 6-1: Homecoming Hijinxs
- 6-2: Seashore War
- 6-3: Aqueduct Assault
- 6-4: Blurry Flurry
- 6-5: Forest Folly
- 6-6: Cliffside Slide
- 6-7: Frozen Frenzy
- 6-8: Meltdown Mayhem
- 6-A: Dynamite Dash
- 6-B: Icicle Arsenal
- 6-K: Slippy Spikes
- 6-Boss: Volcano Dome
Donkey Kong Country (including Gang-Plank Galleon)
Kong Island in the background of K. Rool's Keep in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
| Simian Segue - The main map from Donkey Kong Country.||File info|
| World Map - The main map from DK: King of Swing.||File info|
| Simian Segue - The main map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Jungle - Arrangement of Simian Segue used in the first world map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Beach - Arrangement of Simian Segue used in the second world map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Ruins - Arrangement of Simian Segue used in the third world map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Cave - Arrangement of Simian Segue used in the fourth world map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Forest - Arrangement of Simian Segue mixed with Forest Frenzy used in the fifth world map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Cliff - Arrangement of Simian Segue used in the sixth world map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Factory - Arrangement of Simian Segue used in the seventh world map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Volcano - Arrangement of Simian Segue used in the eighth world map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Golden Temple - Arrangement of Simian Segue used in the last world map from Donkey Kong Country Returns.||File info|
| Simian Segue - The main map from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.||File info|
Names in other languages
- Kong Island/Kong Isle
|French||Île Kong||Kong Island/Kong Isle|
|German||Kong-Insel||Kong Island/Kong Isle|
|Italian||Isola Kong||Kong Island/Kong Isle|
|Spanish||Isla Kong||Kong Island/Kong Isle|
- Donkey Kong Island
|French||Île de Donkey Kong||Donkey Kong's Island|
|German||Donkey Kong-Insel||Donkey Kong Island|
|Italian||Isola Donkey Kong||Donkey Kong Island|
|Spanish||Isla de Donkey Kong||Donkey Kong's Island|
- DK Island/DK Isle
|DK Island/DK Isle|
|French||Île DK||DK Island/DK Isle|
|German||DK-Insel||DK Island/DK Isle|
|Italian||Isola DK||DK Island/DK Isle|
|Spanish||Isla DK||DK Island/DK Isle|