Cement tubs (also known as sand piles, cement piles, coal bins, or pies) are obstacles found in the level 50m in the arcade game Donkey Kong and its reissues.
Cement tubs first appear in Donkey Kong, where they are only found in the level 50m. They appear on multiple Conveyor Belts in the level, and if the player touches one, they lose a life. The only way to destroy a cement tub is by using a hammer.
In the arcade version, there is an unused sprite of the cement tub falling and spilling out its contents. It may have been conceived for when the cement tubs fall into the oil drum. Donkey Kong Jr. also has an unused sprite of a cement tub.
Donkey Kong (Game Boy)
Cement tubs reappear in Donkey Kong for the Game Boy, where they appear in the remake of 50m, acting the same as they did in Donkey Kong.
Donkey Kong 64
Cement tubs reappear in Donkey Kong 64, where they appear in an arcade cabinet found in Frantic Factory that allows that player to play Donkey Kong, where they act the same as they did in Donkey Kong.
Donkey Kong (Game Boy) sprite (Super Game Boy palette)
Names in other languages
|French||Bassines d'huile bouillante
|Basins of boiling oil|
- ^ Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr./Mario Bros. arcade flyers.
- ^ Instruction manuals for the Atari 8-bit, MS-DOS, TI-99/4A, Apple II, and Commodore 64 (Atarisoft) ports.
- ^ Instruction manual for the Commodore VIC-20 port.
- ^ Instruction manual for the Coleco Adam port.
- ^ a b c Instruction manuals for the MSX and ZX Spectrum ports.
- ^ The Donkey Kong 64 Nintendo Player's Guide, page 126.
- ^ French arcade flyer